Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cooker bomb!!!

Hi Guys,

We had one helluva blast (literally) at home a short while ago. I was watching season 6 of Friends when I heard the blast. It looks like my flatmate was trying to make some dal and had left the cooker on the stove. Then it happened (dunno how or why) - The cooker overturned, throwing away the lid and the weight on the nozzle somewhere, the stove burner burst into pieces and the entire kitchen was engulfed in fumes. Thankfully no one was hurt.

I am now anxiously waiting to listen to what the house owner has to say.

Oh btw, something minor too happened. My flatmate had left his cup of water in the microwave oven. In the blast excitement, I opened the oven and without checking if anything was inside, placed my plate of food to warm it up. The plate hit the cup, the water spilled over completely, the oven went kaput (dunno if it will work henceforth), some circuit got affected, the power tripped, and this caused the wireless router to fail (all other electrical stuff was okay). Fortunately, I traced back quickly and unplugged the oven, so the power is fine. My flatmate says the oven will dry-up by tomorrow and that we can resume using it then. Well, let's see. I will keep you updated.

Cheers.
Prasad.

P.S.: We later discovered that the weight had fallen into the rice that was boiling on the adjacent stove. :))

2 comments:

Preethe said...

good to see you blogging again!!

Hope no one was injured.
btw .. did you guys get to eat anything for dinner after all this adventure?

Joyful Slokas said...

Prasad,

Maybe you forgot the gasket (unlikely) or did not clean the cooker top properly. If there's anything stuck in the steam pipe, this can happen. This happened with my dad while he was in Pondicherry.
Info source: Srimathi Perima he he!

Nandini